Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the resident should be able to:
- Describe retinal changes associated with the normal process of aging.
- Describe retinal changes that occur with age-related macular degeneration.
- Provide a differential diagnosis for nonexudative AMD.
- Describe the clinical management for patients with nonexudative AMD.
- Be able to describe the major findings of the AREDS trial, and be able to calculate risk of progression to advanced AMD based on the grading scale used in this study.
- Be able to define neovascular AMD as well as its underlying pathophysiology.
- Provide a differential diagnosis for neovascular AMD.
- Describe how ancillary testing can be used to diagnose neovascular AMD.
Assignment: Please read pages 60-78 in the BCSC Retina text prior to the conference, and note any questions you have so they can be discussed at the class.